Evictions in Wyoming During COVID-19

· COVID-19,Eviction
Exterior of house

This is a stressful time for many, particularly those in Wyoming who may have lost their jobs or have reduced work hours due to the pandemic. If you have not been able to pay your rent, you may be worried about eviction. Here are some important things to know about eviction during COVID-19.

Unfortunately, there are no special state law protections against eviction. This means that:

  • Your landlord can still give you a notice to quit.
  • Your landlord can still file an eviction claim in court against you.
  • Hearings on eviction are still happening, and the court may still hear an eviction case against you. If you are sick or caring for someone who is sick, the court may postpone an eviction hearing against you.
  • The court may issue a new order, judgment, or writ of eviction against you.
  • An existing eviction order may be enforced against you.

However, there are special protections under federal law. If you are in federally-subsidized housing, you may qualify for assistance. Call our Legal Aid hotline at 877-432-9955 for more information.

Governor Mark Gordon has approved emergency rental assistance for both tenants and homeowners. Visit the the Wyoming Community Development Authority for updates and the application.

Visit Legal Help FAQ on Eviction for more information about evictions during COVID-19.

If you are not able to pay your rent, communicate with your landlord. Sometimes landlords are willing to work with you.

There are some things landlords cannot do even if you are behind on your rent:

  • A landlord cannot lock you out just because you have not paid rent—they have to go through the legal process of first giving you a notice to quit and then filing a case in circuit court.
  • The landlord cannot shut off your water, electricity or gas. If the landlord shuts off your gas, the landlord could be subject to investigation and fines by the state public utilities office.
  • The landlord cannot put your property outside, throw away your property, or hold your property hostage for non-payment of rent.

If you need help with a housing issue, call our Legal Aid hotline at 877-432-9955 Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.