Legal Aid Hotline Helps Wyoming Citizens in Need of Free Legal Advice
Do you have a simple legal question but cannot afford to pay an attorney for some quick legal advice?
If your legal issue is in Wyoming, you can call Legal Aid of Wyoming’s free Legal Aid Hotline for assistance regarding certain legal issues. The Legal Aid Hotline number is (877) 432-9955.
The hotline hours are Monday – Friday, from 9 am to 4 pm (we are closed most major holidays and certain times for training). Legal Aid of Wyoming offers extended services on a limited basis, callers can apply through the Hotline. Unfortunately, we cannot help with criminal law, personal injury, or worker’s compensation cases.
Our most common questions involve:
- landlord/tenant issues (e.g., evictions, requesting repairs, return of security deposits);
- simple estate issues (e.g., a Will, a Power of Attorney, an Advanced Health Care Directive, or an Affidavit of Distribution or Survivorship);
- family law matters (e.g., divorce, custody, guardianship, grandparent’s rights);
- debt collection and bankruptcy;
- some legal issues in the Wind River Tribal Court; and
- other miscellaneous legal issues (e.g., name changes, criminal records expungement, someone owes you money, you bought a car or mobile home and cannot get the title, disagreements about ownership of personal property, and the like).
The Legal Aid Hotline began in 2011 and is still going strong today. Licensed attorneys answer the Hotline during business hours. (We apologize, no voicemail, so please do not leave a message.) Clients get to talk with an attorney on the phone about their legal concerns.
The Hotline Attorney will start with a brief application over the phone and ask questions about income and assets. All information given to the Hotline Attorney is confidential. You must qualify under one of our grants to receive services (you qualify by being at a certain income level, not going over a certain amount of assets). Even though we ask the income eligibility questions, senior citizens should always qualify under our Senior Grant. We also have special funding in Laramie County for Veterans.
The Legal Aid Hotline is a special and unique resource for the low-income and senior citizens of Wyoming. It can be difficult for a person to reach an attorney and talk to them immediately about their issue. Our Hotline gives callers a direct line to a licensed attorney with a broad knowledge of Wyoming law and it is free!
Call the hotline today to see if we can help you with your legal issue.